Friday, October 8, 2010

white chateauneuf du pape, linkedin, and fws



this is pulled from linkedin and the french wine society group. it is a nice educational piece on the whites. conventional behavior is to drink these wines young at 2 or 3 years, but this argues for letting them age. i have chosen a basic cdp blanc at 4 years for comment and it is still going strong. no oxidation, fruitiness has softened, wonderful balance. this is under $20 in the pennsylvania stores.

Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc, Obscure but Worth Seeking Out | Lettie Teague on Wine - WSJ.com online.wsj.com

The reds of Châteauneuf-du-Pape are famous, but the little-known white wines of the region offer many surprising rewards, says Lettie Teague

2 comments

Mike • I am so happy with this article , because it describes what I have said so many times before and still do with all my witnesses on Wine safari with me. I was 13 years PR manager of Beaucastel, have learned the knowledge about wine from Burgundy, sinking down in the southern Rhonevalley. What Marc Perrin has to say to you is comming from me , because I have learned the family Perrin that the old whites were interesting.
In the period I was the PR manager , so many peoppkle were able to join me to taste old whites from Beaucastel uptil 1980. First experimental year of Rousanne Veille Vignes. Dear Frank and Lettie, I was at domaine Pradelle in Croze Hermitage and the let me taste their white 2008, 2002 and a 1979 . I was in heaven. That 1979 reminded me a lot to the few 1980 Rousanne Veilles Vignes I tasted at the time working for Beaucastel. Lately even I had a simple Sablet Côte du Rhone Villages 2002 from domaine Goubert in Gigondas and it is tasting very good for such a style of wine. It is only; "What is rearly seen, is not well known" and therefor not regonised! I am convinced of the fact that whites keep better than reds. If I had the money for a wine-auction, I bet my money on 30 year old white wine instead of red-wine. That is to say , if you like to drink it "one day", If it is for you "poststamp" collection, than it becomes another thing. I do agree with Leslie that you should avoid the period, when a white wine "seems" be totally oxidised. Keep it a few years more and it comes back on its feet again. This can differ from one wineregion, grapevarietal...etc
4 days ago





Matt

• reading this over a glass of perrin et fils cdp blanc "les sinards" 2006. light straw color, nose of pear and melon, the palate has nice minerality with a sense of fruit, the acid is nicely balanced with a hint of lemon on the finish. there is something of a "twist" at the end i can't figure out but it seems to dissipate with time in the glass. brett? the bottle was opened last night, and it is much nicer today. i think i will let a couple of these sit and see what they do over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment